Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Granola

I have this reputation. It's funny to me that I am seen as such a "hippie".
Yes, I'm a vegetarian and I wear my cloth-diapered baby and I make her baby food.
Yes, I recycle and I use cloth napkins.
I very rarely buy Styrofoam or bottled-water.
No, I don't have a microwave in my kitchen.
I compost my kitchen scraps and I mostly clean with vinegar and water.
I have a newly installed cork floor in my family room, and a vegetable garden in the back yard.

But I also drink Diet Coke and watch a lot of TV. We have both a gas- powered lawn mower AND snow blower. My daughter has plastic toy and WAY more clothes than an infant needs. I have a lot of purses and we use our central air conditioning.

I guess it's all perspective. I see myself as young and "alternative", but then I catch a glimpse of the me that others see. Walking my black lab in my Badger's Tshirt. Very much normal.. not at all punk rock. I don't really remember the vision I had of myself 10 years ago. I don't know how far off I am from the person I thought I would become, but I'm fairly sure that now, like then, I'm just not as cool as I think I am. But now I'm much more ok with that.

1 comment:

Maggie, Dammit said...

Dude. You don't think you're a hippie because you live in MADISON, WISCONSIN. Seriously. Come spend more nights out in hickville with me, you'll see. ;)

However you choose to define yourself, I think you're pretty fucking awesome.